Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) is a group of genetic disorders that affect the connective tissues in the body, including the skin, joints, and blood vessels. Some individuals with EDS may experience visual symptoms, such as:
1. Poor vision, due to corneal thinning or other abnormalities of the eye.
2. Dry eyes, due to decreased tear production or abnormal tear composition.
3. Abnormal pupil size or shape, due to abnormalities of the iris or the muscles that control pupil size.
4. Abnormal eye movements, such as nystagmus or strabismus.
5. Double vision, due to misalignment of the eyes or weakness of the eye muscles.
6. Poor visual acuity, due to corneal scarring or other abnormalities of the eye.
7. Sensitivity to light or glare, due to abnormalities of the cornea or other parts of the eye.
8. Abnormal eye shape or structure, due to laxity of the eye muscles or other connective tissues.
9. Eye pain or discomfort, due to abnormalities of the eye or the surrounding tissues.
10. Vision loss, due to complications of EDS such as retinal detachment or vascular rupture.
It is important to note that not everyone with EDS will experience visual symptoms, and the presence of visual symptoms does not necessarily mean that a person has EDS. If you or someone you know is experiencing visual symptoms, it is important to see a doctor for a complete evaluation and treatment. Early intervention can help prevent vision loss or other complications.
If you or your child is experiencing visual symptoms that are causing difficulty in daily life, it is important to see an optometrist that specializes in binocular vision dysfunctions and feels comfortable with prescribing prism glasses or personalized vision therapy.
If you struggle to find a specialist in your area, you may schedule a virtual consultation with Dr. David Antonyan by visiting https://www.vividvisionsoptometry.com/. If you're in the Los Angeles or Santa Clarita area, you may also schedule an in-office appointment with Dr. David Antonyan by calling (929)374-3937 or visiting https://www.vividvisionsoptometry.com/appointments.